Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Buttermilk Caramel Syrup


I tend to make pancakes about half of the days of the week. I keep oatmeal pancake mix in the fridge and all I have to do in the morning is mix in an egg and buttermilk and cook them up. I love the idea of the kids eating whole wheat, but not of processed store syrup. So I've been making my own syrup and storing it in the fridge and just warming it the morning of. Normally, I do a vanilla syrup but it has corn syrup in it. I love that this syrup has no corn syrup in it. It is so good we dipped apples in it and basically found any excuse we could to put it on something.


Buttermilk Caramel Syrup
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter*
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

In a large saucepan, bring buttermilk, sugars, and butter to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. It will bubble up a lot. Hopefully you used a large saucepan like I told you. :) As it cools, the bubbles will go away.

*Notes:
-The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup butter. I cut back to 1/4 cup to save my waistline and my husband’s cholesterol, but you can feel free to use all of it if you so desire. I won’t stand in your way.

http://www.creationsbykara.com/2011/02/buttermilk-caramel-syrup.html

No comments:

Post a Comment